Friday, June 11, 2010

This guy, who is he? Where did he come from?

In response to his successful bid to win the nomination to run for a South Carolina Senate seat, many are suggesting Alvin Greene should be disqualified.

Why do they want him disqualified? Well, the most sited reason is he is out of bail after being charged with felony obscenity, but he has not been proven guilty. Don't misunderstand what I am saying, when I hear him interviewed, I have no reason to think he will do a good job as South Carolina's Senator, but I feel that way about many seated Senators. Furthermore, soliciting women, or for that matter men, by Senators, or even sitting Presidents, is hardly a rare event. I am not excusing immoral behavior, if he did what he is accused of I hope he is convicted and sentenced.

"He's been paid to stay in it, by somebody," Clyburn said. "I just think this is a ploy by someone to dishonor and embarrass the Democratic Party."

The difference between Mr. Greene and many others who have "served" in federal government, is class, not behavior. I have no doubt that were Mr. Greene a rich lawyer, doctor, or businessman who was presumed to have the ability to pull more federal money into the state or expand the Democrat parties influence, he would be defended by the very people who now attack him now (with the exception of Camille McCoy, the 19-year-old chemistry student at the University of South Carolina who reported him to the police). Mr. Greene does not come from the right class though, he is unemployed, he does not inspire confidence, and he doesn't appear to have a grasp on the issues.

"Alvin Greene has made himself an issue by running for office." - Susan McCoy (mother of the student Alvin Greene is accused of harassing)

I in no way support Alvin Greene. I do support our system of electing our representatives and the responsibility that accompanies it. It is interesting that now, after defeating the presumptive favorite of the Democrat party Vic Rawl ( a state legislator and former judge), cries for Mr. Greene's withdraw and federal investigations abound. The fact is that the Democrat party has nobody to blame but themselves in this, after all, it was their primary, and they approved Mr. Greene's application to participate. Registered Democrat voters decided to vote for Mr. Greene, so he ought to be their candidate no matter how distasteful the party higher-ups find it.

Just in case you think I feel this way because I like the idea of an easy victory for Mr. Greene's Republican opponent, let me clarify. I find it completely plausible that the same situation could happen in a Republican primary, and if it did, I would feel no different. Both parties have become focused on political strategy at the expense of principled service. Our elected representatives are to lead via public service, not attempt to dominate by political maneuvers and media misinformation. I am willing to abide the occasional Alvin Greene in order to ensure that all citizens, regardless of class, have access to serving as elected officials.

No comments:

Post a Comment